August 5, 2011

Birthday preparations

In preparation of Elsie's birthday we made a cake...but not just one we made two. She asked for a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting with M&M's on it. Which is almost what she had last year...it was a white or yellow cake and had vanilla frosting I believe. Anyways I was fine with that. It was going to be easy so I bought the round cake pans and we started making it. After about the third handful of candy (we used jimmies and sprinkles too) we put on I remembered that one of the little cousins we were inviting is allergic to peanuts! And yes we were using all three sizes of M&M's (peanut, regular and mini) but either way all M&M's are off limits to this girl. Now the crazy thing is she was not even going to eat it as she was also allergic to eggs and wheat two ingredients that figure prominently in a cake! So the mom was bringing a special cupcake for her. But I did not what her to be around the M&M's and also her two little siblings had never had peanuts so I was not going exposure them if their parents did not want them to have them! So we started all over again this time with a pink cake and pink frosting! We added some writing and a few strawberries to make it look cute. It was fun making both cakes. We saved the chocolate one for her real birthday on Sunday. We had several cousins over and one grandma and an uncle for a nice lunch on Saturday and used the pink cake of corse. It was very relaxed and fun. No games or party favors since I am trying to avoid that for as long as I can! Though this might be the last year I can get away with it. We all had a great time.








No comments: