March 11, 2011

Spanish Preschool

Will and I are going to put Elsie into a Spanish immersion preschool. We had thought about it last year and I got as far as sending an email about pricing and never got a reply. We also decided that 3 was not the right age to put her into preschool because both of us needed more time at home. Well now we are ready, I guess. We found the preschool at a safe kids fair and they seemed really great. After going to a free trial day and comparing it to other preschools we decided to try it. Elsie starts the 21st of March and will go for the rest of the school year until the end of May.

The teachers speak completely in Spanish. Even when Elsie was visiting the teacher did not say anything in English. Elsie did really well for a first day. She repeated words back to the teacher and followed instructions...mostly by watching what the other kids did. She even has said some words out of the blue since the class but she has no idea what they mean. But we are excited to try it. We plan on seeing how the three days a week go. It will be in the afternoon and it is a little far away from home. So I will have a lot of driving to do. The class is 3 hours long and so if I go home and back again I will only have about 2 hours and 20 minutes at home. But I am sure it will be worth it sometimes. If we stick to it I might join a gym down by her school so I can work out. It will be cool to have Elsie and Will speaking Spanish and hopefully I can understand it enough to not be too far in the dark.

I am not sure if I am ready for this. I am little worried I will be taking too much of her free time away from her. Will pointed out to me that she is awake for about 84 hours a week including weekends and so 9 hours of that in school is not that much. At the school they learn by play anyways. They read stories, play game and do crafts all while learning Spanish. It is a really neat way to learn I think. So I will keep you posted on how it is going. They say the little minds learn it way faster then any of us can.

No comments: