March 12, 2010

Lessons

A little while back it was brought to my attention by a neighbor that Elsie will be old enough for preschool this fall!! YIKES!!! But I am still undecided if I should send her...lots of conflicting feelings and ideas. This information still got the wheals turning and I thought I want to do mare teaching at home now. So I looked back at some posts I saved from an on line mothers group I am part of. There were lots of ideas of web sites that are helpful and have great free info on them. One of these web sites actually has a curriculum to follow. Now I don't think it is perfect and I am adjusting it to fit our needs but I am doing the lessons every day. Bascially there are 26 weeks in the preparatory curriculum the one that gets you ready to get ready to learn to read. Each week has a theme, a vocabulary word, a color or shape, a letter, a number and a nursery rhyme. On Monday you introduce the theme and vocab word and then each day you introduce one more thing. You leave each thing up on a poster for one week and then slowly change it out for the new theme, letter, shape and so on. It seems to be working quite well for us so far. Elsie likes her lessons and participates pretty well. She is not into the number flash cards I made but I think that is because she has never liked flash cards...numbers are hard for her right now. But she knows most of her letters (she knew them before we started these lessons) and she is great with colors. If you want to check this out or look at there more advanced curriculum here is the link. Here is our poster with all the things we are learning about right now.


2 comments:

Jeni said...

that looks great! I love home preschool. We rotate between moms and houses...I say keep them home as long as you can!

Lehilina Marlow said...

How awesome!!! :)