March 5, 2015

Christmas at Grandpa and Grandma's house 2014

We did the usual thing after eating  breakfast and looking over our gifts. We packed up and headed out to see Will's dad and Mary. All of Will's siblings who were around came out too and we had a lovely dinner then sat down and opened presents. 

One thing that was fun was before getting up from dinner we all went around telling the best thing we ever gave for Christmas and the best thing we ever got for Christmas. I could not think of either for a little while. But then I realized the best thing I got was my fit bit from Elsie, Will and Catherine, which I got this year! Lots of people shared things from their childhood but I could not think of anything. The best thing I gave was making Elsie a tool box out of some 1/4 plywood wood to match the one Will's Granddad made for him as a kid. I have made lots of gifts with my art work and things I make for nieces and nephews but this one was great! 

Will's gift was the gift he gave this year to his dad. It was an old Montgomery Ward Catalog from 1931 (I think). It was old and it was the one Will's Granddad has a touching story about. As a boy Granddad found a silver dollar on the road home one night. He decided to buy all of his siblings a present from the catalog with the silver dollar. I believe they had been orphaned by then so they just took care of each other with one or two older siblings in charge. So you can imagine they had very little money and very few things. Will's dad liked the catalog a lot but Granddad could not put it down. He looked in it for an hour or more. He would exclaim every once in a while these are the first shorts we bought or the toy truck I wanted. He remembered all the things he gave to each sibling and found most of them. Later I told Will he should have given it to Granddad! 

It was a good Christmas despite Elsie feeling yucky still!






No comments: