January 11, 2013

Thursday in Rome

The 15th was another busy day. In fact all our days we packed with stuff so that at night I feel asleep several times with the lights still on.  Here is the email I sent to my family that night after we got home.  

"today we went to the Colosseum and the Roman Forum one of the places where several different emperors at different times built homes/palaces and changed stuff to fit their mood. We leaner a lot at the Colosseum about the fires that changed the city and the people. It was amazing. After walking most of the day in these two places which are right beside each other we walked down in to a cute part of Roma where the Romans live. We only ate gelato once today but I had a cannoli and a calzone so that made up for it. Plus it was chilly today off and on depending on the sun so ice cream was not high on the list to eat. We saw several churches today too. Beautiful ceilings and floors as well as paintings and in one, columns stolen from roman ruins.I am exhausted though. So I better go. We are planning another long day of walking tomorrow. With lots of fountains and squares to see. Plus the Pantheon."


We actually began our day by walking from the shuttle stop to the Colosseum and we passed Will's favorite fountain on the way. So we stopped and enjoyed the Trevi Fountain in the light for a change. 

The Colosseum was amazing. Will sort of drove me crazy though by reading every last word on all the  display cases. It was a lot but very interesting. We did not leave the Colosseum until after 1 or 2 so I was pretty hungry by then and I always get mad when I am hungry. I held it together even though Will and I choose to go down a less populated street to find food. It turned out good in the end as we found a cute shop with pastries and sandwiches. We each got a prosciutto and brie sandwich mine was on a croissant but Will's was on some sort of bread or roll. The real treat we found there was the cannolis though. Yummy! 

The Roman Forum was great too. As I mentioned above it a very large area of ancient ruins where some of the emperors lived. It was beautiful and the details and mosaics and sculptures that are intact are amazing. That night we went into the part of town where "the Romans live" as determined by our guild book. Any way the roads got thinner and thinner and the buildings were packed in. It was amazing we even came upon a church just tucked into a few buildings and so Will took a photo!  





















No comments: