June 17, 2011

Moab in May

Will and I wanted to get away for a weekend and since our vacation to San Francisco got postponed we decided to go to Moab. I have been wanting to go there ever since we moved out here. The red rock is amazing and all the formations are beautiful. We got there on Friday night and drove down the Colorado River a little ways out of town as the sun set. The next day we had a leisurely morning and then went for a hike. It was a beautiful day, sunny but not too hot and there was a nice breeze. I unfortunately decided not to wear a hat but put on lots of sunblock. This meant that I got a sun burn on my part. I also forgot to put sunblock on my neck so I got a burn on my neck too. Oh well I guess I did learn a lesson or two from it. Our hike was at a place called Fisher Towers about twenty miles out of town. The towers were great and the hike was an easy one.




We got an extra special treat while hiking we saw a person base jump. He climbed up the sandstone rock onto a tall formation and was at the top when we got there. He kept standing up and sitting down and spitting into the wind (another on looked had binoculars and was giving us a blow by blow of what he was doing). He eventually jumped off and then threw out his parachute and slowly glided down. There was a camera crew there filming it and a bunch of hikers had stopped to watch so it was pretty exciting to be a part of it. But it still does not make me every want to do it! Later that day we went to main street and walked around a bit.















The next day we drove around Arches National Park and saw some beautiful arches and formations. It was a great trip. We already have reservations to stay there this fall.









2 comments:

Cherisa said...

Beautiful! I'd love to go there someday... We don't make many trips to UT, though (one in 13 years is pretty infrequent).

Miss you!

Lori said...

Looks like a great little getaway. So much to see down there.