April 28, 2011

First Day of School

I wrote a while back about putting Elsie into a Spanish immersion preschool. Well we did it and she loves it. We started the week after our friends left on March 21st. She is doing really well and every day when I pick her up she says she has fun. She can not tell me what she learned each day but she has picked up several words and uses them some times. For example one night we were heating up some cold pizza for her dinner and she said the word for cold in Spanish after touching it. She also uses please, thank you, and excuse me among others. She has a Spanish CD we listen to in the car. She loves it. Elsie can sing along with just under half of the songs I would say. Though she often does not know what she is singing it is helpful to get the idea of the language and how it sounds and how it feels to speak it. From day one she has babbled a little in a fake language and says she is speaking Spanish. I think this is normal. One of my friends said her daughter who was much older when she was put in the Spanish immersion program did the same thing. But later she started to speak it better and stopped babbling. Will speaks Spanish so this will make determining if it is babble or real a lot easier!!! So far we love the program and are thinking of putting her in a few days a week in the summer as well as three days a week in the fall.

Don't judge me, the hair is crazy because it was crazy hair day...though Elsie was the only one with crazy hair! Poor kid!

No comments: